– 2014-2015 –
What is it ?
Museomix is a technological and cultural event, but first and foremost a laboratory for cultural co-creation that aims to promote the emergence of an open, networked and participatory museum. For 3 days, it invests the museum, in its physical reality with its constraints and its functioning. This friction between imagination and reality is the heart of his challenge. It is an opportunity to act and to move to action, rather than limiting ourselves to saying and describing the action.
Participants with diverse profiles (coders, creators, designers, museum professionals, cultural mediators, teachers, innovators, tinkerers…) meet and prototype new cultural mediation devices. In synergy, they all share their know-how to invent new experiences in the museum (exchanges, visits, mediation…).
The spirit of Museomix is first and foremost to be a place of experimentation and elaboration of new relational forms in and with the institution. It is a matter of inventing together modes of research-action to allow for a better consideration of everyone’s logic, those of professionals, researchers, and users.
The original vision put forward by Museomix
- An open museum where everyone can find their place.
- A living laboratory museum that evolves with its users.
- A museum that is networked with its communities.
- Encourage collaboration on projects. We set up cross-functional meetings so that new ideas and projects emerge.
- Experiment and prove by example. We create the conditions for experimentation on and in museums. We show that it is possible to do new things… by doing them!
- To bring out new ideas. Museomix experiments and meetings are organized in such a way that new ideas are encouraged and put forward.
- Disseminate freely. We disseminate projects, technologies, and content that advance the vision of an open, living, networked museum. We promote free and open licenses to do this.
- Building a community that cares for itself and supports its members. We increase the autonomy, size and impact of the community. We promote the evolution of all community members, so that a virtuous circle is established.
For more info on the project : museomix.org/en/
2014 – Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal
This first edition of Museomix in Montreal gathered 12 teams of 6 people, each with a dedicated facilitator, for 72 hours of intense creativity.
To relive the event in photos, it’s right here.
Find here the complete list of projects and participants.
Thanks again to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, to the participants, to the partners and to all those who made this first edition possible!
2015 – Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal
72 hours, 10 prototypes, 55 participants, 17 mentors, 7 museum experts, 10 facilitators, 20 mixroomers, 1 conversation on new practices, 12 international guests, 35 organizers, 1 facilitator, 20 volunteers and 6 prototype builders later, we can say it loud and clear, the 2015 edition of MUSEOMIXmtl was a great success!
When we organize Museomix, the biggest challenge is not to imagine the projects that could be realized, but rather to set up the most favorable context possible. You never know what to expect and this edition was beyond our wildest hopes! From the incredible quality of the prototypes, to the integration of the prototypes and the teams on site, to the staging of the museum’s content, everything was of the highest quality.
Relive the 2015 edition in pictures and discover the content produced by the participants:
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Montréal
Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal
Christie, Helios Makerspace, Reely Active, Simbioz, Trotec Laser, Productions Version 10, Voxel Factory, XYZ
Institutional and government partners
Banff Centre, Délégation générale du Québec à New York, Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie, Gouvernement du Canada, Plan Culturel Numérique du Ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec, Quartier des spectacles, Entente sur le développement culturel de Montréal
Collège Salette, Domaine Pinnacle, École nationale du meuble et de l’ébénisterie, fotomate.biz, La Remise, Plantzy