Job offer - Online Activities Facilitator
Online Activities Facilitator
Our team is currently looking for a facilitator to run online activities as part of our digital literacy project (AlphaNumérique). The person will be responsible for facilitating workshops and other online activities, as well as provide technical support during these activities. AlphaNumérique’s online activities will be primarily public workshops on subjects such as how to use a tablet, how to navigate the internet or use social media, and other subjects related to digital literacy. These workshops are for groups of 5-100 people, depending on the level of interactivity. Audiences vary from one workshop to another but may include people who are 65+, people who live in rural settings, people with disabilities, and other groups targeted by the project. We also provide training for library and community organization personnel, and run online events for the greater public.
The main aspects of this position are:
1) Understanding fully the content of our 12 public workshops on different subjects related to digital literacy
2) Facilitate these workshops and other online AlphaNumérique activities
3) Set up the webinars on Zoom (and occasionally also on Facebook live) and ensuring that all technological aspects run smoothly
4) Providing technical and visual support during the webinars (slide shows, video clips, surveys)
5) Answering technical support questions from participants during webinars and troubleshooting problems with them via chat, and possibly by phone
This is a 6 month contract until June 2021, with the strong possibility of renewal until March 2022. After the first 6 months, it’s possible we will begin offering in person workshop in the regions surrounding Montreal. Starting wage is $21/hour, and the ideal start date would be January 4, 2021. This position is expected to be 30 hours a week.
Techno Culture Club is a non profit organisation which promotes and supports digital literacy and digital justice to make technology and digital culture more accessible, fair et participative.
AlphaNumérique is a project working to support public libraries and local community organisations to reduce inequalities in terms of access to technology and digital literacy. The project focuses on building digital literacy skills in populations who have been identified as having the least access to technology.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Facilitating online digital literacy activities in videoconference format
- Adapting facilitation techniques to suit the needs of different audiences and professionals
- Setting up online activities (Zoom, Facebook live, crossposting, etc.)
- Technical support for participants and facilitators during the activities
- Live facilitation and moderation of question periods and comments sections during the livestream of pre-recorded content
- After June 2021: Possibility of facilitation of in-person digital literacy activities (if the current covid crisis permits)
- Experience facilitating activities
- Ability to explaining complex subjects in easy to understand ways, and to adapt explanations to suit different audiences
- Knowledge or interest in social issues relating to technology and digital literacy (the digital divide, the effects of systemic barriers on access, etc.)
- An active listener and comfortable working as part of a team
- Computer literacy and ability to troubleshoot technical problems. Especially: knowledge of Zoom settings and Facebook livestream settings
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in French (professional proficiency in English an asset)
- Ability to type quickly and respond succinctly over chat (in French)
- Experience facilitating webinars or other online activities
- Interest in anti-oppressive and inclusive approaches to facilitation and organisational culture
- Interest in the cultural sector, new technologies and digital culture
- Experience in the community sector and/or working in small- or medium-sized organizations
- Professional level English
- Six month contract; ideally starting January 4, 2021
- Work hours : an average of 30 hours per week
- Schedule: activities will be most weekdays between 9am - 8:30pm, schedule will be available a month in advance. It is possible there will be some workshops on Saturday mornings
- Compensation: $21/hr;
- Location: currently work from home, with the possibility for occasional in person meetings depending on your comfort level; normally we work in office at the Centre du Plateau (address in footer). It’s possible we will return to working in person in summer or fall of 2021.
Please submit a completed online application before midnight, December 14, 2021:
In the online application, please attach your CV as a PDF (in english or french, as you prefer) ;
If you have questions or require assistance with the online form, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com. While we thank you for your application, only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, TCC believes in promoting equality and diversity in our team. We prioritise candidates from groups who are often under-represented or face systemic exclusion, including but not limited to Indigenous people (First Nations, Metis and Inuit), people of colour, members of the LGBTQ2SI+ community, people with disabilities, and new immigrants. We encourage people to self-identify on their application form if they wish.